Monday, February 3, 2014

Project Allergic: Apple Spice Muffins (Gluten, Dairy and Egg Free)


Last week I found a tasty version of gluten-free apple muffins to add to my weekly breakfast line-up, but after scouring every possible place I could have saved it on my computer favorites and iPhone bookmarks, it was nowhere to be found.

Not what I wanted to deal with in my hungry pre-coffee bed-headed state. This was a good reminder that I need to streamline my recipe organization soon...

Standing at my kitchen counter, I frantically searched the web for a similar recipe and managed to uncover this.

I already had most of the ingredients, so modifying it to fit my allergenic needs was a snap. I was impressed with the fluffy yet substantial texture of these muffins, and they really hit the spot paired with a bowl of fresh blueberries and a piping hot cup-o-Joe. :)

Modified Apple Spice Muffins

Wet Ingredients:
3 Flax Eggs*
3/4 c. Applesauce (I used my granddad's home-canned version)
1 c. Brown Sugar (I'd love to experiment with reducing/replacing the sugar. My only complaint)
1/2 c. Canola Oil (Next time I'll try using melted Coconut Oil)
2 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. All-Spice
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg

Dry Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. Brown Rice Flour
1/2 c. Oat Flour (Bob's Red Mill=Gluten Free)
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt

Topping:
1/2 c. Peeled/Cored/Diced Apples (plus extra if you have a hungry toddler like I do!)

Pre-heat oven to 350°

1. Mix all of the wet ingredients in a larger mixing bowl.

2. Sift all of the dry ingredients into a smaller mixing bowl

3. Slowly fold the dry ingredients into the wet, being careful to not over-mix.

4. Place liners into a muffin tin and fill cups about 3/4 of the way full.

5. Gently press a few apple pieces into the top of the muffin. They come out nice and soft, so you could probably put on as many as you want. Or, as the original recipe shows, you could also put the apples in the middle of the muffin.

6. Bake the muffins for around 20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. I had to bake mine for 24 minutes.
 
*Flax eggs are soooo easy and a wonderful alternative for those of us who can't eat chicken eggs:

In a small bowl, whisk together 1 Tbsp. Ground Flax Seed Meal with 3 Tbsp. Water. If the recipe calls for more than one egg, just double the recipe accordingly. So for this recipe, I used 3 Tbsp. Flax Seed Meal and 9 Tbsp. Water. After everything is mixed together, put the bowl in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes, or until the consistency is thick and gel-like. When you add it to the mixture, it should easily slide out of the bowl, leaving little residue behind.





 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment